make time to make.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

gocco:::what I learned

I am pretty new to gocco printing and burned some new screens to try printing onto fabric for the first time tonight. I am learning a lot with every new gocco project. Tonight was no exception!













Here is what I learned tonight:::

When burning screens:
*do NOT put any sort of tape behind the image you are burning. i used double sided tape to adhere several small images to a piece of paper intending to burn the screen that way. well the tape showed through the image when i burned the screen! weird.

*in my opinion for the best results, don't expose the screen for too long. i have already found that shorter time (2-3 seconds) results in a better screen than if I expose the screen longer (4-6 seconds - bad bad!)


When printing on fabric:
*use more ink than you think you need. re-ink often.
*do several tests before the real thing.
*don't give up
*the sixth times the charm!

I printed 17 tote bags and a onesie for my daughter. 12 of the bags turned out pretty darn good and 5 are well, not as good. I am not sure what to do with the poor imperfect owls! Well anyway I figure this isn't so bad for my first time. I have 3 more designs I am hoping to crank out of the gocco in the next few weeks. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how very kewl that you are learning a new craft!! I can't wait to see more of your creations!


http://sweetspicestory.blogspot.com/