So instead of knocking some items off of my to-do list yesterday, I randomly decided to try making candles for the first time. I found some awesome vintage candle molds at a thrift shop recently (an owl and a mushroom!) and have been itching to try making candles with them.
It was harder than I thought.
I had gathered all of the items I thought I would need according to the 1978 instructions (ha!) --- wax (pariffin,) dye, scent, candy thermometer, pyrex pourer, double boiler, lots of newspaper in case I spilled...and I googled a couple of last questions I had like could I re-melt if I screwed up and at what temperature should I add the dye and scent, etc.
Well here's what happened: I melted the wax to correct temperature, poured into pouring container, added in the dye in small pieces...and before I could even stir it in the wax was already starting to solidify. I quickly added the scent and poured in what I could. I re-melted the wax and tried again, this time letting the wax get a little hotter...and then poured again, a little more successfully but STILL the wax started to solidify pretty quickly. CRAP! Does anyone have candle making tips? Am I just not letting the wax get hot enough?
I finally filled the mold and this morning I was happy to open it and find an adorable avacado green owl that smells like peppermint. (I'll add a picture tonight.) YAY!!! But I have a looong way to go before I perfect this craft.
I think I will give it another shot tonight. I'm super excited to try again and hopefully get an even better final product. Hopefully one that doesn't take like four hours to get right. Any advice is appreciated!